Atsáli Biomedical & TCM Details
Atsáli™ is comprised of herbs that influence the allergy response in clinical and laboratory studies. Nettle has inhibitory effects on cells and pathways involved in allergic rhinitis(1). One clinical study found freeze-dried nettle effective in relieving allergy symptoms with almost half of the patients finding it equally or more effective than their allergy medicine (2). Other herbs in Atsali™ have effects on histamine release in laboratory studies (3, 4), and reduce overall inflammation,with distinct action on bronchial inflammation (5,6,7,8). Cordyceps improves immune and respiratory functions (9), and elderberry has been shown in laboratory studies to have anti-microbial and anti-viraleffects, specifically against the influenza virus (10,11,12,13).
From a Traditional Chinese Medicine view:
Ling Zhi (Reishi Mushroom, Ganoderma lucidum)is slightly warm, enters the HT, LIV, LU, channels; tonifies Heart Qi, nourishes Heart Blood and calms the Spirit, tonifies Lung Qi, transforms Phlegm to stop cough and wheezing, tonifies Qi and nourishes Blood.
Xun Ma (Stinging Nettle Leaf, Urtica dioica)enters the LU, LIV, and KI channels; tonifies the lung and skin, purifies and tonifies Blood, Kidney and Liver Yin, transforms Phlegm, and stops bleeding.
Mu Dan Pi (Peony Tree Root Cortex, Cortex radicis moutan)is slightly cold and enters the HT, LIV, and KI channels; clears excess and deficiency Heat, cools and invigorates Blood, clears Liver Fire, drains pus and reduces swelling.
Zi Zhu Hua (Purple Coneflower, Echinacea purpurea)enters the LU and SP channels; purifies Blood, clears toxins, disperses Wind-Heat and releases the Exterior, benefits the stomach.
Xin Yi Hua (Magnolia Flower, Magnoliae lilliflorae)is slightly warm and enters the LU and ST channels; expels Wind-Cold and unblocks the nasal passages.
Jie Gu Mu (Elderflower, Sambucus nigra)enters the LU, KI and BL channels; releases the Exterior, clears Heat, dries Damp, tonifies Lung, expels Phlegm, and eliminates toxins.
Dong Chong Xia Cao (Cordyceps Mushroom, Cordyceps sinensis)is slightly warm, enters the LU and KI channels; tonifies the Kidney, strengthens Yang, augments Jing, nourishes Lung Yin, transform Phlegm, and stops bleeding.
Gui Zhi (Cinnamon Bark, Ramulus cinnamomi cassiae)is warm and enters the HT, LU, and BL channels; releases the Exterior, assists Yang, adjusts the Ying and Wei, releases the muscle layer, warms the channels and collaterals, unblocks Yang, transforms Qi, thins mucus, supplements the Heart Yang, warms the Yang Qi in the chest, warms and moves Qi and Blood, warms the middle and directs turbid Yin downward.
Jie Gu Mu (Elderberry, Sambucus nigra) enters the LU, KI and BL channels; releases the Exterior, clears heat, dries damp, tonifies Lung, expels phlegm, and promotes lactation.
- Roschek, B. Jr., Fink, R., McMichael M., Alberte R. 2009. Nettle extract (Urtica dioica) affects key receptors and enzymes associated with allergic rhinitis. Phytother Res.(7):920-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2763.
- Thornhill, S., Kelly, A. 2000. Natural Treatment of Perennial Allergic Rhinitis. Alternative Medicine Review. (5,5):448-454. http://archive.foundationalmedicinereview.com/publications/5/5/448.pdf.
- Gulledge, T., Collette N., Mackey E., Johnstone, S., Moasami Y., Todd, D., Moeser, A., Pierce, J., Cech, N., Laster, S. 2018. Mast cell degranulation and calcium influx are inhibited by an Echinacea purpurea extract and the alkylamide dodeca-2E,4E-dienoic acid isobutylamide. J Ethnopharmacol (212):166-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2017.10.012.
- Shen, Y., Pang E., Xue C,. Zhao Z., Lin, J., Li, C. 2008. Inhibitions of mast cell-derived histamine release by different Flos Magnoliae species in rat peritoneal mast cells. Phytomedicine. 2008 (10):808-14. https://doi.org/0.1016/j.phymed.2008.04.012.
- Halpern, G. 1999. Cordyceps,China’s Healing Mushroom.New York, NY:Avery Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-0895298119.
- Zemmouri, H., Sekiou, O., Ammar, S., El Feki A., Bouaziz, M., Messarah, M., Boumendiel, A. 2017. Urtica dioica attenuates ovalbumin-induced inflammation and lipid peroxidation of lung tissues in rat asthma model. Pharm Biol.(1):1561-1568. https://doi.org/0.1080/13880209.2017.1310905.
- Fu, P., Yang, C., Tsai, T., Hsieh C. 2012. Moutan cortex radicis improves lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in rats through anti-inflammation. Phytomedicine.(13):1206-15.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2012.07.013.
- Ho, G., Wangensteen, H., Barsett, H. 2017. Elderberry and Elderflower Extracts, Phenolic Compounds, and Metabolites and Their Effect on Complement, RAW 264.7 Macrophages and Dendritic Cells. Int J Mol Sci.(3).https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18030584.
- Yamaguchi, N., Yoshida, J., Ren, L Chen, H., Miyazawai, Y., Fuji, Y., Huang, S., Takamura, S., Suzuki, S., Koshimura, S., Zeng, F. 1990. Augmentation of various immune reactivities of tumor-bearing hosts with an extract of Cordyceps sinensis. Biotherapy. (2):199-205. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f1a2/3f338cb07eb2b573315a9ee0da220e2a5832.pdf.
- Benzie IFF, Wachtel-Galor S, editors. 2011. Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects.2nd edition. Boca Raton, FL:CRC Press/Taylor & Frances. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92756/.
- Tuberoso, C., ed. 2012. Berries: Properties, Consumption and Nutrition. City. Nova Science Publishers. Hauppauge, NY. ISBN-13: 978-1614702573.
- Krawitz, C., Mraheil, M., Stein, M., Imiralioglu, C., Domann E., Pleschka, S., Hain, T. 2011. Inhibitory activity of a standardized elderberry liquid extract against clinically-relevant human respiratory bacterial pathogens and influenza A and B viruses. BMC Complement Altern. Med.(11):16. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-11-16.
- Roschek, B. Jr., Fink, R., McMichael M., Alberte R. 2009. Elderberry flavonoids bind to and prevent H1N1 infection in vitro. Phytochemistry.(10): 1255-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2009.06.003.